my week in photos — week 30

My week in photos is a weekly post where I share some of the photos that I took during the week that (mostly) didn’t make it to my Instagram feed. I’m always looking for ways to improve my photography skills and welcome any comments.

Egads! It was a wild week for me. So much so that I wrote a new post for the blog and then promptly forgot to post it. Ever feel so scatterbrained that you don’t know how you got from one place to the next? Yup, that was me this week. (Don’t worry, I’ll post the new post next week. I guess that means I’m a week ahead?)

The week started off with my lifelong best friend coming for a three day visit. We’ve been friends for 25 years despite not living near each other for most of them. She’s the kind of friend who, no matter how long it’s been since we’ve talked, I’ll never run out of things to talk about with.

Since she didn’t get in until 6 PM on Friday, Justin and I decided to have a lunch date. We prefer lunch dates because dinner can be a bit hectic and we don’t like to be rushed. With him working from home, it’s a lot easier to coordinate as well. We went to a “new-to-us” mostly vegan restaurant that is owned and operated by the same folks who do my favorite completely vegan restaurant and associated vegan bakery. It was the “mostly” part that drew us in to try it, but I don’t think we would go again. Let me explain… The food that we ordered was delicious. We started with the poutine. Justin got the chicken and waffles which had southern fried cauliflower instead of chicken and I had the vegan macaroni and cheese with steamed broccoli. My issue came with the options to “dairy up” the meals. Both the poutine and macaroni and cheese had full-dairy options. One of the things that I like about fully vegan restaurants is that the fear factor is dialed WAY down because I know that there isn’t even the slightest hint of dairy in the building. There’s no way that a mixup could happen that would land me sick.

After lunch, we headed home so that Justin could finish his workday and so I could take a nap before venturing out to the airport. In my post jobbing life, I have come to absolutely adore naps. There’s just something so refreshing about laying down in the middle of the day to recharge. I don’t always sleep, but just the quiet solitude can be enough to make so that I can get through the rest of my day joyfully. (I’ll be doing a post soon about my first two months without jobbing.)

Sisko is a pro-napper. He seems to have a sixth sense about when one of us is going to retire and quickly jumps on the bed to make himself comfortable. On the day in question, I asked him, “Are you going to take a nap with me?” His response is below.

Since we spent so much time talking and chilling in the living room, I hardly took any photos while my friend was here. I have a few of her, but none of us together. I really need to work on that.

I did manage to snap a few quick pictures of the red bell peppers that I harvested. I decided to wait until as many were red as possible for a couple of reasons. First, I like the taste of red bell peppers better than green ones because they’re a little sweeter. Second, I calculated the return that I would need to break even on this plant project and decided that since red peppers are usually more expensive at the store than green that I would get more “bang for my buck” that way. I’m well on my way to breaking even with the nine tasty beauties and there are more on the way.

I dropped my friend off at the airport on Tuesday and had a pretty reasonable rest of the day. One of my local friends invited me out for “a mall day” on Wednesday. I wanted to go, but had to figure out how to get Scooter to the vet at the same time. Scooter hasn’t been doing well lately. I noticed that his ears were gunky and figured that he probably had an ear infection. He also seems to be in quite a bit of pain and the tremor is back so I wanted to know if I could increase his pain medication. Luckily, Justin was able to drop him off at the vet for me and I was able to go get coffee with my friend.

Unfortunately, I was right about Scooter. He does have an ear infection and will need antibiotics for at least a week. That puts him at four medications each day. He is also maxed out on his pain medications because giving him more makes him non-functional. He just lays on the rug, glassy eyed with drool. I’m worried that we’ll need to make decisions in the next few months.

I’m glad that I got my mall day with the kiddo and her mom. It might sound funny, but this little girl is one of my favorite people on the planet. She’s super smart and super sassy. It’s been fun watching her learn and grow over the last year.

We played at the dinosaur play area while we waited for our favorite kids’ clothes store to open. As we walked there, she insisted on holding her mom’s hand and my hand. She never does that! Then she sang at the top of her lungs about how happy she was to go to the store with us. I wish I could be as happy about anything as she was about going to the store. It was pretty magical.

I usually check the clearance racks since I don’t have a child living with us yet, but it doesn’t hurt to stock up. I found the cutest Batman swimsuit for my niece! I had noticed a few months ago during the beginning of the season, but had decided to not buy it then because of the price. However, the fates smiled upon me and someone recently returned one in my niece’s size. With the clearance prices, it was an absolute steal! I know that she’s going to love it.

How did your week go?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.